It’s hard to even count how many different cakes I’ve ever eaten. Different shapes and sizes and flavors. And on different occasions: holidays, birthdays, un-birthdays, dinner, breakfasts, and a lot more.
The stage of excitement begins when I mix the batter. The smell of each ingredient creating a perfect bond in the oven. The warm spongy texture that coats my tongue once it comes out of the oven.
Sadly, sometimes, my days just don’t have the patience to wait for a cake to come out of the oven. Like a lot of mornings for breakfast. Maybe that was why microwave was invented. For a quick single-serve cake.
4 TBS all buckwheat flour
3 TBS cacao powder
½ tsp baking powder
2½ TBS granulated sugar
⅛ tsp salt
5 TBS almond milk
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
2½ TBS oil (grapeseed, canola or vegetable oil)
3 strawberries, chopped
1. In a microwave-safe mug, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar and salt until combined.
2. Add in the almond milk, vanilla, and oil. Mix well
3. Gently fold in chopped strawberries.
4. Microwave the cake batter on high for about 1 minute. Check on cake to see that it’s done. (You may need to microwave for less or an additional 5-10 seconds depending on how powerful your microwave is).
5. Allow mug to rest for about 30 seconds before removing from the microwave.
6. Serve with your favorite topping.
It doesn’t get any easier than this. And it’s perfect for sudden chocolate cravings!