I live on salad! It’s easy, it’s healthy. So whenever I run out ideas for a meal, I always chop up some lettuce, and I always have hard boiled eggs ready in the fridge, just in case. And this time I’ll be making chopped salad with bacon and honey mustard.
For the Salad
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped small
- 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 7 slices bacon, crumbled
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 green onions, choppped
For the Dressing
- 1/3 c bacon drippings
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 1 T honey
1. Cook the bacon in a saute pan. I usually use a sheet/cookie tray and pop the bacon in the oven–and that’s fine too, but for this recipe, I’m using the bacon dripping for the base of the dressing, so I figured it was easier to pour the drippings from a saute pan rather than from a cookie sheet.
2. Once the bacon is crisped to your liking, remove it and let is drain on a paper towel lined plate. Turn the heat off the pan and let the bacon drippings cool.
3. While the bacon is doing its thing, go ahead and prep your lettuce and veggies, and toss them into your serving dish.
4. Using a jar with a screw top lid combine all the ingredients and shake! This is the least messy, most efficient way to emulsify the ingredients.
Note about the dressing: because bacon fat is mostly saturated, it will solidify at room temp and in the fridge. It’s best to drizzle the dressing only on the portion of salad you’re eating…not on the whole thing, unless you plan to eat it all in one sitting.
5. Store the dressing in the fridge and reheat it in the microwave for a few seconds to get it nice and fluid again.