I loooooooove Nutella! I can lick the Nutella off my butter knife. Gross, I know. But you know you want to. =p
However divine the taste of Nutella is, you and I, both, know how unhealthy it is!!! And the amount of sugar. Oh my……… If you’ve ever read the ingredient list of Nutella you’ll see the very first ingredient is sugar!!! Not chocolate. Not hazelnut. SUGAR!!!
So in order to fulfill my Nutella satisfaction without diverging from my clean-eating habit, I’ve made a healthier version.
1-1/2 cup raw hazelnut
6 oz. dark chocolate (or unsweetened baking chocolate)
1/2 cup honey
4 tbs. flax oil
1/2 cup hemp milk (or milk of choice)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Place the hazelnuts on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350° for about 15 minutes. The flesh should be a nice golden brown and the skins should be closer to black in color.
2. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
3. Rub hazenults until the skins come off. You may need to help some of them along with your hands, but most of the skins should come off with the towel.
4. Put the hazelnuts in a food processor and blend until creamy. It takes a few minutes for it to turn into a nut buttery texture.
5. While the hazelnuts are in the processor, melt the chocolate squares in a bowl and microwave for about 3 minutes, or steam. Stir once in a while, until they’re complete melted.
6. Stop the processor and add the chocolate, then the honey and oil. Mix! Slowly add the milk.
7. Last, add the vanilla extract and blend for a few moments.
8. Transfer the Nutella to a jar and store in the fridge. It will get thick like peanut butter does when it’s cold.
Nutrient Count not available.