I woke up this morning feeling a bit chilly underneath the blanket. So I checked on the temperature, and wow!!! Below freezing! I thought to myself (yes, while still in bed), “Today will be a perfect day for warm muffins.”
So I sprung out of the bed and started whisking.
No added sugar, no oil, yet still sweet (but not extremely) and moist. Perfect for breakfast! Oh, plus! I added Organic Burst maca powder, so this is a perfect pre-workout snack/meal.
1 cup (115 g) spelt flour
1 cup (120 g) buckwheat flour
1 TBS Organic Burst maca powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
4 ripe banans
3/4 cup (190 g) unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup (120 ml) almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
Chopped walnuts (optional)
makes 12 muffins
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and maca powder.
3. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas, then add applesauce, milk, vanilla, and nuts (if using). Stir to mix.
4. Add in the wet mixture to the dry mixture. Stir to combine.
5. Pour batter into greased muffin pan, and bake until toothpick comes out clear when inserted (around 15 – 20 minutes). Let it cool for about 10 minutes before removing muffins from the pan.