For our first Test & Tell Series, we tried cooking a meal or drink out from a book/film/other pop culture.
In this case, we are baking a Milky Way Cake. This will make a great Christmas cake! Found the recipe in Sarah Addison Allen’s book, The Girl Who Chased the Moon.
8 Milky Way candy bars
2 sticks butter
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs, well beaten
1/2 tsp baking soda
2-1/2 cups flour
1-1/4 cups buttermilk
1 cup pecans, chopped
1. Melt candy bars in 1 stick of butter.
2. Cream sugar and the other stick of butter.
3. Add eggs, baking soda, and flour alternately with buttermilk.
4. Add melted candy mixture and pecans.
5. Bake in 3 (9-inch) pans, greased, at 325º for 30-40 minutes or until done.
6. Cool for 5 minutes, remove from pans, and cool on rack.
Chocolate Icing Ingredients:
2-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1 stick butter
6 oz. chocolate chips
1 cup marshmallow creme
1. Mix sugar and milk over low heat. Cook until it reaches a soft ball stage.
2. Add other ingredients. Stir until chocolate chips are melted.
3. Remove from heat and beat until cool.
**Recipe taken from the book**