I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again a thousand times lol. Breakfast is THE MOST IMPORTANT meal of the day and is my FAVORITE meal! I think I spend the most time preparing my breakfast than my other meals. Even though I think you can get more creative during lunch. Ehhh.. Maybe that’s not entirely true.
But today, I made poached egg and asparagus with bacon, topped with clean-eating sauce. I’ve never actually had asparagus before. Today I’ve confirmed that I’m actually not their biggest fan lol.
5 asparagus spears
1 tsp. white vinegar
2 slices of bacon (you can replace it with turkey bacon)
1 1/2 tbs. low-fat sour cream (I used Tofutti, which is vegan sour cream)
3 tbs. parmesan cheese
2 tbs. water
1. Prepare the asparagus by rinsing them thoroughly, break off any tough, white bottoms and discard.
2. Steam them for about 10 mins, or until fork-tender.
1. Fill 8- to 10-inch nonstick skillet nearly to rim with water, add 1 teaspoon vinegar, and bring mixture to boil over high heat.
When protein is subjected to high heat, they lose their molecular structure, and causes protein to lose its solubility. The vinegar helps to lower the pH of the water, so the eggs to set a lower temperature. When protein is subjected to high heat
2. Crack the eggs open in a cup or ladle Lower the lips of each cup just into water at once; tip eggs into boiling water, cover, and remove from heat. Poach until yolks are medium-firm, exactly 4 minutes. For firmer yolks (or for extra large or jumbo eggs), poach 4 1/2 minutes; for looser yolks (or for medium eggs), poach 3 minutes.
3. With slotted spoon, carefully lift and drain each egg over skillet. (Can be dropped into ice water and refrigerated up to 3 days).
1. Combine all ingredients in a skillet, and simmer until thick.
1.Place paper towel on a microwave-safe plate.
The paper towel will absorb the grease from the bacon.
2. Place a few slices of bacon on the paper towel, and cover with another layer of paper towel.
3. Cook for about 8-10 minutes on the highest temperature for crispy bacon. You might want to check after a few minutes (depending on the thickness of the cut) to make sure they’re not burnt.
1. Place the asparagus spears on a plate, topped with the poached egg and bacon.
2. Pour sauce over it and enjoy!
(May vary depending on product brands)
Total Fat: 22 g
Protein: 24 g
Carbs: 9 g
Fiber: 2 g