Apparently I just found out that today is World Vegan Day. So…. HAPPY VEGAN DAY!!! =D
Anyways, fall has started. So it’s been quite cold in the morning. I’ve actually been making warm breakfast most of the mornings. Or at least a warm cup of tea. And today, in order to “celebrate” world vegan day, I started my day with a warm cup of quinoa pudding.
I had my whole day planned for just doing kitchen stuff. But of course…….. I got distracted… But hey, I managed to test my chai latte recipe. =] It’ll be in the next episode of Foodease. Oh! And it’s vegan too. 😉
My last vegan meal was actually lunch. Because no other members of the family would eat a meal that only consists of vegetables. But I made mushroom barley risotto, which was yummmm!!! =D
1 cloves garlic, finely minced
3 crimini mushrooms, washed and sliced
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
1/2 tbs balsamic vinegar
1-3/4 cups vegetable broth
A sprinkle of himalayan salt
A sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper, plus more to garnish
1. Chop onions to make. Heat olive oil in a large skillet and cook onion for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add the garlic and cook over medium-low for about 8 minutes.
3. Turn the heat up and add all the sliced mushrooms to the skillet and let them cook for 5-10 minutes.
4. Add the rosemary sprig, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Stir well. Cook for a couple minutes.
5. Now add in the barley, balsamic vinegar, and vegetable broth gradually as it cooks. Cover with a lid
6. Meanwhile, make the caramelized onions. Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a pan.
7. Slice onion. Add them to the oil and sprinkle with salt.
8. Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions turn a dark brown, for about 30 minutes. Be careful of burning.
Serve the risotto with the caramelized onion.